Monday 11 June 2012

I tried archery as a teenager and have a question....

how is it that I, with all the gangly uncoordinated inability of youth, can hit a small target from about 20 feet with a tiny arrow and yet a professional footballer can miss a f'g eight foot high, eight yard wide target from a similar distance???

Well thanks to Mr Elmander a couple of  things have come to pass.

Firstly, England now have in my view even more of an uphill struggle to get anywhere in the competition than they started off with. A win against the Swedes is now not optional, and I'm afraid that with Woy's inherently defensive and negative approach I just can't see that happening. Let's play devil's advocate and say that France and Ukraine draw and England beat Sweden. That would mean us going into the game against Ukraine, on their turf and with their tails bolt upright, with the hosts needing a win to progress to the quarter finals. Can't see that going our way, personally.

Secondly, from very modest stakes I was looking at a green screen on Correct Score, with a tantalisingly large lump resting on 2-2 that I hadn't hedged. I'd also laid Ukraine at silly low odds. So he owes me a substantial three figure sum.

So thanks, Johan, nice one!

Such is the nature of our hobby, but as a football fan I must say that the quality overall of this tournament is much higher than I had expected. The win for Ukraine has really set the stage for a fascinating Group D denouement and I suspect a few people are now greening up nicely on Sheva being top scorer (matched in small amounts at 500 I understand!).

I think things can only get better as the lyric suggests.

2 comments:

  1. Ah but with your archery you didn't have two defenders bearing down on you, a split second to size everything up and make a decision, a moving, falling object to strike, a severely narrowed target due to the goalkeeper, or the pressure of 80,000 screaming fans plus millions at home, watching your every move in the final seconds of a game you had to win................Elmander still should've scored though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very true, Sultan, although I vaguely remember a young lassie I carried a bit of a torch for being in the same archery class - so I'd like to think I was under a bit of pressure too!

    ReplyDelete